Fundraising during Christmas in July is no “jingle all the way” effort. These are challenging times. Inflation is high. Gas is over $4 a gallon, you get less groceries for more money, everything everywhere is more expensive. Two and a half years of Covid changed our priorities and destabilized us in many ways. There is lots of uncertainty. But if I may, I’d like to make the argument for community journalism and why ‘tis the season’ to support it. You can sing this to the 12 Days of Christmas. On the first day of Christmas my community journalist said to me…
- We are the new watchdog on the block.
- We are innovating the way we do journalism. We are building community by telling stories.
- We are closer to home. In fact, we live in your community. We are your neighbors noticing and sharing what’s going on around us.
- We are telling stories that should be told but often aren’t.
- We tell positive stories about people like you. Being able to see yourself in stories is empowering.
- We are solution oriented. During challenging times, we bring peace of mind. Understanding also leads to action.
- We are collaborating to bring you news you need. We are part of a larger media ecosystem in which everyone plays a part.
- We are working to serve Denver and recognize that the community has a stake in this.
- We recognize that the larger issues in the nation and world happen down the street too.
- We are mentoring the next generation of aspiring journalists. We’re like a peace corps where young journalists and entrepreneurs first serve their community before moving on.
- We are doing this in partnership with you.
- We need your support to make this sustainable.
As Bucket List Community Café wraps up our Christmas in July fundraising season, please consider a contribution. Many people shop at the last minute so there’s still time. Just click on the link or hover your phone over the scan code. With our gratitude you will receive one of our Bucket List Community Café refrigerator magnets. Thank you so much for supporting Bucket List Community Café and community journalism.